You may say, “Raw asparagus?!?” And, I will reply: “YES!”(with much enthusiasm). This is an easy and light salad to make for lunch, like I did yesterday. I used both a little bit of Bulgarian feta and Pecorino. I enjoyed the play of the two different flavors and textures of cheese. If you can find Bulgarian feta, buy some, pronto. It’s not salty like Greek feta cheese, it’s more mild and creamy/not so crumbly.
- 1lb. (bunch) of asparagus, rinsed, cut into 1-2″ pieces
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup (or more) of crumbled Bulgarian feta cheese
- a couple glugs of olive oil
- zest of lemon, plus juice of half a lemon
- flaky sea salt and pepper to taste
- some shavings of Pecorino Romano cheese
Add cut asparagus and chickpeas in a medium-large bowl. I cut the asparagus into tiny, diagonal pieces to make it more visually appealing (I guess, haha). drizzle with olive oil–enough to coat the beans and veg. Add lemon zest and juice and feta pieces. Stir until combined. Add some shaved (I used a vegetable peeler) Pecorino Romano on top. Enjoy!